[ivtv-users] PVR-150 in "Live Preview" mode?

Doc doc at dawning.ca
Fri Mar 5 10:05:37 CET 2010

Howdy, I'm trying to play video games through my PVR-150 and I'm finding the
lag due to the encoder (while only about 0.9s) to be unbearable.

I've been trying to figure out how to get this card in to "Live Preview"
mode in Linux. Hauppauge includes some instructions on their site for how to
do this in Windows.. But of course, that doesn't help me a much.

When I check the available output formats, I get the following:

j at Neptune:~$ v4l2-ctl --list-formats
ioctl: VIDIOC_ENUM_FMT
    Index       : 0
    Type        : Video Capture
    Pixel Format: 'HM12'
    Name        : HM12 (YUV 4:2:0)

    Index       : 1
    Type        : Video Capture
    Pixel Format: 'MPEG' (compressed)
    Name        : MPEG

So then I try to change the output video format from MPEG to HM12 (hoping
that is less laggy). The operation returns as though it worked, except when
I check the settings is doesn't seem to notice the new "pixel format"..

I run the below to change the format:

j at Neptune:~$ v4l2-ctl -V
Format Video Capture:
    Width/Height  : 720/450
    Pixel Format  : 'MPEG'
    Field         : Interlaced
    Bytes per Line: 0
    Size Image    : 131072
    Colorspace    : Broadcast NTSC/PAL (SMPTE170M/ITU601)

 Immediately after that I, attempt to change the format with "j at Neptune:~$
sudo v4l2-ctl --set-fmt-video=width=720,height=480,pixelformat=0", but I get
the following (with no error messages):
j at Neptune:~$ v4l2-ctl -V
Format Video Capture:
    Width/Height  : 720/480
    Pixel Format  : 'MPEG'
    Field         : Interlaced
    Bytes per Line: 0
    Size Image    : 131072
    Colorspace    : Broadcast NTSC/PAL (SMPTE170M/ITU601)

This nothing changed.

Please help me figure out how to watch the video content hitting my PVR-150
in as close to real time as possible!!