[ivtv-users] hvr-1600, frame CRC mismatch - incomplete frame

Kyle Lil kpl388 at msn.com
Fri Mar 5 01:11:15 CET 2010

> Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 17:18:33 -0500
> From: dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
> To: ivtv-users at ivtvdriver.org
> Subject: Re: [ivtv-users] hvr-1600, frame CRC mismatch - incomplete frame
>
> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 5:06 PM, Kyle Lil <kpl388 at msn.com> wrote:
> > The Windows utility gives a signal strength in the neighborhood of 32.5,
> > which correlates well with what azap reports. It also has indicators for
> > both corrected errors and uncorrectable errors. I can't find a log file that
> > it stores this data to, but sitting and staring at the indicators I see
> > occasional corrected errors, but I see no uncorrectable errors. The error
> > correction referred to here is done in hardware, correct?
>
> Yes, those counters are for hardware based correction.
>
> Also, bear in mind that the azap results will not match exactly the
> same as the Windows driver, due to some minor differences in the way
> the calculation is performed (the quality is the same, the differences
> are in the reporting).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Devin
>
> --
> Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
> http://www.kernellabs.com

Thanks, Devin. Using the conversion factor you previously gave me for azap output to decibels, it looks like the Windows utility is reporting the same SNR. I'm trying to figure out if the glitches I'm seeing while watching video in Linux (but not in Windows) are caused by differences in the HVR-1600 driver or if the Windows codecs are particularly good at dealing with errors. Based on what the Windows utility is reporting, it seems that there are actually fewer uncorrectable errors at the tuner, which (I think) points to a difference in the drivers...