[ivtv-users] ivtv TODO list

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Mon Jan 18 19:42:45 CET 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Hans Verkuil <hverkuil at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> - NTSC and WSS. I still do not know how NTSC determines whether the source is
>  4x3 or 16x9. PAL uses the WideScreen Signal (WSS). A similar feature exists
>  for NTSC, but it is unclear whether it is actually used by broadcasters.
>  Nobody seems to know.

The reality is that for NTSC there is no standard.  There is an NTSC
variant of WSS discussed in the WSS specification, as well as a way of
representing the info in EIA-608.  As far as I have been able to
gather though, neither have actually ever been used in production.  If
someone wants to offer some evidence to the contrary, I would be happy
to add the support to tvtime and test it with some of my tuner boards
(and fix any bugs that in the driver I find).

> - Replace the PCM device node with a proper ALSA device.

For what it's worth, this has actually been done for the cx18 (but not
for ivtv).  I just need to do the final PULL request to get it into
the mainline v4l-dvb.

Cheers,

Devin

--