[ivtv-users] CX18: Black and white horizontal line with HVR-1600

Andy Walls awalls at radix.net
Fri Feb 13 04:45:15 CET 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 17:11 -0800, k niemand wrote:
> I have a HVR-1600 card and installed the latest driver. I use the
> latest Ubuntu distribution. Composite input works fine apart from an
> annoying black and white horizontal line at the top of the picture. I
> tried the --set-crop option using v4l2-ctl (v4l2-ctl
> --set-crop=top=1), but the responds I get is "VIDIOC_G_CROP: failed:
> Invalid argument".

The driver doesn't really support the crop ioctl.  It provides a stub
that goes through some trivial motions, but then always returns -EINVAL.

> Does anyone have any ideas of how to get rid of this line?

Well, I have to fix the driver to get rid of it.

That line is part of the Vertical Blanking Interval; the white areas are
data that's being sent (like CC over NTSC or VPS or Teletext for other
video standards).  The wrong values for vblank and vactive may be being
used in the cx18-av-core.c file.

Are you using PAL, SECAM, or NTSC?  Is this a new problem, or one that
you have always had?  What is the composite video source: a VCR, a cable
convertor, or something else?

Regards,
Andy