[ivtv-users] sendbytes: error - bailout on pvr-350

Sander Sweers sander.sweers at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 13:00:02 CEST 2008

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 20:43, Alan <alan at ufies.org> wrote:
>> > i2c_adapter i2c-0: sendbytes: error - bailout.
>> > ivtv2: DMA TIMEOUT 00000001 0
>> > ivtv2: DMA TIMEOUT 00000001 0
>> > ivtv2: DMA TIMEOUT 00000001 0
>> > ivtv2: DMA TIMEOUT 00000001 0
>> > i2c_adapter i2c-0: sendbytes: error - bailout.
>> > i2c_adapter i2c-0: sendbytes: error - bailout.
>> > ivtv2: DMA TIMEOUT 00000001 0
>> > ivtv2: DMA TIMEOUT 00000001 0
>
> Sure thing.... ivtv is 1.1.0, but I notice that the xserver-xorg-video-ivtv
> package installed is .10.6, I found a debian version
> of xserver-xorg-video-ivtv_1.0.1-1_i386.deb which I'm considering
> upgrading to, if anyone things it'd do anything.

Upgrading Xdriver *should* not cause any issues but will not solve
your issue. If you go for the latest and greatest (see below) it might
be necessary.

> Just before I rebooted to get the full init for you I noticed these in
> dmesg:
>
> ivtv0: All encoder MPG stream buffers are full. Dropping data.
> ivtv0: Cause: the application is not reading fast enough.
> IVTV0: All encoder VBI stream buffers are full. Dropping data.
> ivtv0: Cause: the application is not reading fast enough.

The ivtv driver assigns a buffer where it stores the mpeg data. When
this buffer is full it drops the oldest data. The reason usually is
that the application is not reading fast enough.

> Not sure if it's related or not....

Not sure either.

> Anyway, here's the output of dmesg | grep ivtv:

Grepping does not give the complete init of ivtv but we do now have the version.

> alan at mythtv:~$ dmesg  | grep -i ivtv
> ivtv:  Start initialization, version 1.1.0

This is on kernel 2.6.23? The version included in there is pretty old.
And if I am not mistaken much has improved in this area in kernel
2.6.24 and later. So if you have a newer kernel in the updates then it
is useful to try it out.

> ivtv0: Initializing card #0
> ivtv0: Autodetected Hauppauge card (cx23415 based)
> ivtv0: Unreasonably low latency timer, setting to 64 (was 32)

You can play with the pci latency and try to fix ivtv dropping data.
Check this post [1] for some details.

The rest of the init looks fine.

> Hardware setup is /dev/video0 = pvr-350 video1 and video2 are pvr-150s,
> the box is a knoppmyth system from last year about this time though no
> (or minimal) packages upgraded on it.  I replaced the 350 card last week
> due to issues with it's tv tuner recording badly, and previously it had
> no issues like this (though that was before the addition of the 2x150
> cards though).

Ok so the pvr-150 on ivtv2 is having dma timeouts. This was a know
issue very likely fixed in a later kernel. If you feel up to it you
can try the latest and greatest from V4L/DVB. This involves compiling
kernel modules [2] for your running kernel.

Greets
Sander

[1] http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/ivtv/users/38461#38461
[2] http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Download#Bleeding_Edge_driver