[ivtv-users] Hauppauge PVR-150 and Composite 1: cannot lock?

Levente Novák lnovak at dragon.unideb.hu
Wed Jul 2 17:17:17 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 07:55 +0200, Levente Novák wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 20:15 -0400, Andy Walls wrote:
> > > >

> > > Please find the output attached, however I provide only 1 stdout and 1
> > > stderr file instead of two, since the logs are identical for the static
> > > OSD and for the tape being played (so I assume it will not help much).
> >
> > You appear to have the correct syntax, but the command needs to be run
> > as the "root" user to get any useful output for me.
> >
> > If you did run it as root and your card is at a device node other
> > than /dev/video0, you'll need to add the "-d /dev/videoN" argument to
> > the command, where "N" is the proper number for the ivtv card of
> > interest.
> >

> I will redo it this afternoon, however I am pretty sure I ran it as root
> moreover my device is at /dev/video0 and not something else.

After having redone the test (as root using the bleeding edge driver),
it still fails to produce anything useful: tons of

ioctl: VIDIOC_DBG_G_REGISTER failed for 0x0
ioctl: VIDIOC_DBG_G_REGISTER failed for 0x1
ioctl: VIDIOC_DBG_G_REGISTER failed for 0x2
ioctl: VIDIOC_DBG_G_REGISTER failed for 0x100
ioctl: VIDIOC_DBG_G_REGISTER failed for 0x101
ioctl: VIDIOC_DBG_G_REGISTER failed for 0x102

and so on. Like if it was unable to dump the registers.

BTW the documentation for ivtv says on the Wiki page that bttv should
also be compiled into the kernel or as a module, but I deselected it
from my self-compiled kernel (it didn't seem to do anything). Is it
really needed/useful for ivtv? If so, why?

> > > The next step will be to try to extract as much information as possible
> > > from under Windows.
> >
> > Also please try to dump the cx25843 registers again.
> >

> Do you have a hint how would one dump such registers under Windows? I
> have a Hauppauge tweaking utility, but it is mainly for adjusting the
> filters and the MPEG encoding parameters.

I failed to discover how to dump the registers under Windows, the MPEG
encoding/picture options were the same as under Linux.

Regards,

Levente