[ivtv-users] IVTV left black bar

Sander Sweers sander.sweers at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 14:56:32 CEST 2007

On do, 2007-10-04 at 08:03 -0400, John Drescher wrote:
> On 10/4/07, Tom L'Ecluse <tom.lecluse at dommel.be> wrote:
> >
> > I got a left black bar in my picture. See
> > http://www.chrisvanpevenage.be/vlcsnap-2663719.PNG for an
> > example.
> >
> Is this on all recordings? And is it always the same width?

I have them on both sides and this is very likely already in the
broadcast as Meow said. You just don't see them on a normal tv.

> > It is in vlc/mythtv even in a simple cat to mpg file.
> >
> > For the rest ivtv is working but I want to fix this problem.
> >
> > v4l2-ctl --set-crop-video=top=0,left=0,width=720,height=576
> >
> I am not sure how/if the cropping works with ivtv but my theory is
> that you want to set left to a small  number > 0 basically equal to
> the width of the bar.

If I understood Hans correctly cropping is not supported by the hardware
and should be handled by userspace.

Mplayer has a nice feature which will detect the crop values.
  mplayer -vf cropdetect <file>.mpg

And you can pass these values to mplayer again (eg mplayer -vf
crop=704:416:10:72).

Greets
Sander