[ivtv-users] Anyone have a Philips FM1216ME or FM1236 MK5 tuner?

Hans Verkuil hverkuil at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 4 22:13:30 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 04 October 2006 17:45, Loris Caren wrote:

> > > tveeprom 1-0050: tuner model is Philips FM1216ME MK5 (idx 117,
> > > type 4)
> > >
> > > I reckon I've got one here in the UK in a recent purchase PVR350.
> > > I'm willing to help, but I should warn you, I've still not found
> > > my way to a working system yet - I've got as far as getting a
> > > fuzzy picture from the tuner after adding ivtv options tuner=1.
> > > Currently when I try for sound from mplayer I get dropped frames.
> > > I'm using an FC5 platform (2.6.17 kernel)
> >
> > Use option tuner=38. That selects the MK3 tuner definition, which
> > is almost 100% identical to the MK5. The only question that I have
> > is whether the FM radio works. It might be necessary to change the
> > kernel to support that part.
>
> ivtv-radio -vs ran through a series of frequencies up to 107.00 with
> output like 92.00 147000 8192. I don't really know what it should do.
> Twice, doing this has locked up the system dead with the only thing
> that worked thereafter a reset (button).  This rather unpleasant
> effect is intermittent. What logs would you like?
>
> ivtv-radio -f 92.7 (known UK frequency) produces a buzzing sound.
> Same sound is produced when tuning off frequency.

Hmm, that's looks very much like the radio isn't working. To prove this
I hope you are able to build a new kernel. A single simple change is
needed in the source drivers/media/video/tuner-simple.c. Look for the
function default_set_radio_freq, then look for this piece of code:

        case TUNER_PHILIPS_FM1216ME_MK3:
        case TUNER_PHILIPS_FM1236_MK3:
        case TUNER_PHILIPS_FMD1216ME_MK3:
                buffer[3] = 0x19;
                break;

Now replace '0x19' with '0x09'. That's it.

If running ivtv-radio -f 92.7 now is tuned properly, then this will mean
that I need to do more work to have the MK5 tuner work correctly.

Thanks,

	Hans