[ivtv-devel] Unfair treatment of ivtv8 and ivtv9

David Liontooth liontooth at cogweb.net
Wed Aug 27 16:13:26 CEST 2008

Hans Verkuil wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 August 2008 02:23:45 David Liontooth wrote:
>
>> On a Debian sid running kernel.org's 2.6.26, I installed five WinTV
>>
> PVR
>
>> 500 units. The first nine "encoder MPG" devices are numbered
>> consecutively 0 through 8.
>> The ninth, as you can see below, gets confused: ivtv9 "Registered
>>
> device
>
>> video10 for encoder MPG", yet also "Registered device vbi9 for encoder
>> VBI".
>>

> With more than eight devices the numbering goes off. Basically the
> encoder PCM numbering bumps into the range of the encoder YUV devices,
> so at that point it starts using the first free numbers.
>
> Can't do anything about that, I'm afraid.

Thanks, I see how it works. Can I renumber the devices using module
parameters? My scripts assume the mpg and vbi devices have the same number.

For saa7134 I use /etc/modprobe.d/saa7134:

options saa7134 card=95,95,95,95,95 tuner=39,39,39,39,39
video_nr=1,2,3,4,5 vbi_nr=1,2,3,4,5 radio_nr=1,2,3,4,5 disable_ir=1,1,1,1,1

# Work around udev
install saa7134 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install saa7134; /sbin/modprobe
saa7134-alsa

# Alsa
options saa7134-alsa index=1,2,3,4,5

Can I still pass device option numbers to the ivtv devices?

An alternative simple fix would be to add a zero to the other devices,
since udev now generates nodes on the fly anyway, but I guess demand is
modest.  If you can point me to the code I may give it a try.

Dave