[ivtv-devel] DMA prob on ASUS A8N-VM CSM w/ integrated video

David Girault david.girault at dfg.homedns.org
Wed Oct 4 10:11:08 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I just want note that lot of ASUS board have buggy BIOS. Especialy ACPI
DSDT table. I need to make a custom kernel with a custom DSDT to use this
board correctly. Without, ACPI is fully disable and board doesn't work
well.

Look at http://acpi.sourceforge.net/index.html and
http://acpi.sourceforge.net/dsdt/index.php for more information.

Custom DSDT for ASUS A8N-VM CSM were at
http://acpi.sourceforge.net/dsdt/view.php?manufacturer=ASUS&name=A8N-VM+CSM

My kernel .config include the following two lines:
CONFIG_ACPI_CUSTOM_DSDT=y
CONFIG_ACPI_CUSTOM_DSDT_FILE="/usr/src/dsdt.c"

Using this patched DSTD in my kernel, I have now ACPI activated and have
IRQ routing working very well.

Perhaps all DMA errors are related to buggy ACPI DSDT on this board? I
hope this can help someone.

Regards,
David

Le Mar 3 octobre 2006 11:25, A. P. Kennedy a écrit :

> Another data point.
> K8N-E Deluxe nforce3
> athlon 3700+
> using lvm on sata disks on silicon image sata controller (on
motherboard) Linux tv 2.6.15.7 #6 PREEMPT Tue Sep 26 21:02:05 CDT 2006
i686
> GNU/Linux
> mthytv 0.19 and ivtv 0.4.7
>
> I had to upgrade the mythtv box from an old p4 2.8ghz dell because the
dell had a strange kernel bug that would not allow it to detect the
second sata drive.

> Anyway since I have made these changes there are no more DMA errors.
>
> I have two 350 pvr and one 250 pvr cards in this box, and it works
perfectly.

> The above computer was my main computer, and I really miss it ;-).
>
> Note to make the transition painless I keep everything 32 bit because
all I did was compile a new kernel, change the drives and the pvr cards.

> Hope this helps.

>  Bryan> Steven Ellis wrote:
>  >> Got another 6150 test bed using the newer M2NPV-VM board thats AM2.
Couldn't reproduce your problem. I'll try the a8n-vm csm board over
the weekend.
>  >>
>  Bryan> I just upgraded the hardware in my capture box from a Pentium4
Bryan> 2.4GHz to an Athlon X2 3800+ AM2 socketed in an M2MPV-VM and I
Bryan> started getting the DMA errors as well. I can't force it to
Bryan> happen with either a glxgears, cpuburn or a make -j2 going in
Bryan> the background, but it definitely is happening:

>  Bryan> [17475883.428000] ivtv0 warning: ENC: (0) DMA Error 0x0000000b
Bryan> [17475883.624000] ivtv0 warning: ENC: (0) DMA Error 0x0000000b
Bryan> [17475883.736000] ivtv0 warning: ENC: (0) DMA Error 0x0000000b

>  Bryan> This is a stock Ubuntu Dapper 6.06.01 system with the
>  Bryan> 2.6.15-27-k7 #1 SMP PREEMPT kernel and the powernowd userspace
Bryan> scaler. I'll keep an eye out to see if I can isolate when the
Bryan> problem occurs.