[ivtv-devel] [ANNOUNCEMENT] New ivtv releases to fix PVR350 high CPU load

Ian Armstrong mail01 at iarmst.co.uk
Tue Dec 12 09:05:00 CET 2006

On Tuesday 12 December 2006 06:45, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 December 2006 00:35, Stanley Merkx wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I've released new ivtv packages that fix the high CPU load on the
> > > PVR350. There is no need to upgrade if you do not have a PVR350 as
> > > nothing else was changed.
> > >
> > > As usual the sources are available from www.ivtvdriver.org.
> > >
> > > Enjoy,
> > >
> > > 	Hans
> >
> > Hi Hans,
> >
> > This has fixed it for me... Using 2 PVR-350's (hoping the -fb driver
> > will soon be able to support both cards). CPU Usage for mythfrontend
> > has dropped from 40% average even when playback was paused to almost
> > unmeasurable (both cores are now on average 98% idle when nothing
> > else is going on).
> >
> > Great work, thanks!
>
> You're welcome! BTW, are both PVR350s in the same computer? Someone else
> had problems with two PVR350s in one PCs. And FYI: in the ivtv trunk it
> should already be possible to have two ivtv-fb modules.

I think the trunk version still only works with the first PVR350 it finds. The
code I'm running now will initialize the osd on all the PVR350 cards it can
find. I have two cards here and although I can control & write to each osd
separately, trying to run something like X on both results in nothing working
and the logs filling up with a mass of DMA errors.

Dec 12 05:53:55 spike kernel: ivtv1 warning: DMA ERROR ffffffff ffffffff
Dec 12 05:53:55 spike last message repeated 5 times
Dec 12 05:53:55 spike kernel: ivtv0 warning: DMA ERROR ffffffff ffffffff
Dec 12 05:53:55 spike last message repeated 3 times
Dec 12 05:53:55 spike kernel: ivtv1 warning: DMA ERROR ffffffff ffffffff
Dec 12 05:53:55 spike last message repeated 5 times
Dec 12 05:53:55 spike kernel: ivtv0 warning: DMA ERROR ffffffff ffffffff
Dec 12 05:53:55 spike last message repeated 6 times
Dec 12 05:53:55 spike kernel: ivtv1 warning: DMA ERROR ffffffff ffffffff
Dec 12 05:53:55 spike last message repeated 9 times
Dec 12 05:53:55 spike kernel: ivtv0 warning: DMA ERROR ffffffff ffffffff
Dec 12 05:53:55 spike last message repeated 2 times
Dec 12 05:53:55 spike kernel: ivtv1 warning: DMA ERROR ffffffff ffffffff

X still appears to be running & produces no error messages, but nothing is
drawn to the screen. It should be noted that ivtvdev ignores the requested
framebuffer device & always grabs the first one it finds, so I ended up using
a combination of ivtvdev & fbdev for the test. When that failed I tried fbdev
for both, but it still didn't work.

--
Ian