[ivtv-devel] 0.7.0 : "1000 ms time out waiting forfirmware" problem becomes worse

Tim Berger tim.berger at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 08:46:02 CEST 2006

On 8/21/06, Ricardo Lugo <punka at cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> Keith,
> I have had some success minimizing these kinds of problems on my SMP
> machine by tweaking my machine's IRQs. If any devices share your ivtv card's
> IRQ, remove / shuffle the cards until you have a good config where the card
> has its own IRQ.

Ricardo, was this on 64bit as well?  Because it's looking to me like some
64bit bug was introduced after 0.6.1.  If people on 64bit  are only having
trouble after this version but with 32bit are ok, then can this still be IRQ
related?  On my machine, ivtv0 and ivtv1 have their own, non-shared
interrupts.

I never looked at the source before this evening, but it looks like
ivtv_pause_encoder() was completely ripped out and replaced with some new
api call ivtv_vapi().  Maybe that has somethig to do with it?  I really have
no idea.  Something new has caused the firmware to go out to lunch though
(or appear to be out to lunch), and only on dual core 64bit as far as I can
tell.

Maybe I'll just punt and reinstall with FC5 32bit.  I wonder how many people
out there have had ivtv success with an athlon X2, and 64bit disto.  Please
let me know off-list. Thx.

-snip-

--
-Tim